Sunday, August 15, 2010

Rich is the new eco-friendly

One of the biggest names in my profession is Alex Bogusky. I have never met the man nor do I ever intend to so many of my opinions of him are based upon rumors and personal accounts of friends and friends of friends ... that is to say, completely biased.

I decided long ago I would never work at his former employer Crispin Porter. Not solely because of Alex, mostly I never want to work in a "sweat shop" environment again. But this is neither here nor there. In this post I want to comment on rich people who "all of a sudden" decide to forsake their profession and "try to change the world." Granted, I don't think Alex has ever said he wanted to change the world but its basically the gist of all his prancing around making such a bold statement.

I commend him for recognizing that he was no longer being fulfilled by his day to day but so far, the "changes" I've seen him making are so self-serving, so fame-mongering, and just so Alex Bogusky. I'm so damn tired of people with more money than they know what to do with simply using that money to further their own egos while pretending its for the greater good. This goes for all rich people (especially actors) doing the same thing.

I would love to see one rich person put all that money into a program that is solely designed to support recent college grads in making a difference in the world. There have been times where I would love to quit my job and work for companies that really do make a difference but unfortunately momma didn't get a 3.7 GPA in college and momma needs to pay her student loans, rent, etc etc. Shouldn't the older generations be working to empower my generation, the generation getting raped by the economy? Put all that money towards showing my generation that we don't have to "sell out" to actually support ourselves, that we can take 3 months off of our jobs to go help with an oil spill without worrying how we're going to make our loan payments.

It bothers me to have some rich, white dude telling me to only buy local grown, organic produce (which costs an arm and a leg and goes bad in two days) or to get rid of the car that gets me to work everyday since I can't afford to live near my work. Of course he can take the time to make a difference, he has the money to do it ... he also won't have to live with 5 other people in a closet and work 2 other jobs to pay his rent. *sigh* It all just seems so phony to me. Like Julia Butterfly. I could live in a tree for a year too if I had a trust fund waiting for me when I came down.

Where are the programs that will support my mediocre student-self while I try to help the world that feels like its imploding around me? Where are the jobs that will let me take a sabbatical to do just that? Why should I have to wait until I'm 46 and loaded (ha, yeah right) to begin making a difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...